Wednesday 27 May 2009

Wed 27th May




Today I was due to be picked up by Rajesh at 9.00am but he was unfortunately delayed and then we got stuck in a big traffic jam (Not uncommon for Mumbai!!). It meant that we didn't arrive in Mahim until 10.30am. When we arrive all the kids on the bus and some of the street kids were eatinf the food they had been given. This unfortunately left us little time for the football and on Wednesdays many of the street children will be selling or begging in the local market, which meant only a handful of kids. After chatting to Rajesh and some of the boys we agreed to meet up tomorrow at 9.30 - lets hope we get there on time!! After the attempted football session, we travelled onto Mahim Creek to meet some of the drug addicts and then on to Bandra. Here I watch the teaching session which was on Hindi. I know many of the kids at Bandra now so they all say 'Hello' to me when I am there. It was really pleasing to see the teacher using some of the ideas I had suggested in my training sessions. She was very positive, used a simple form of assessment and got the children interacting well. There were a few suggestions that noted down and will talk them through with her. After Bandra it was back to the kitchen. Here I got involved in yet another game of cricket with the boys and again there was some very clever dodging of the traffic. Whilst we were in Mahim, Rajesh and I wnet to a small restaurant for lunch and I had BEEF!! It was great. One of the best meals I have had since being here. On our way back to the car, I spotted 4 children playing at the side of the road. I asked Rajesh if he knew them but he did not. We then realised that the rest of the family were sitting on the street corner and that the whole family was homeless. Tomorrow, Rajesh and I will go back to the same spot and see if we can get the children to come along to the bus when it stops in Mahim. This will provide them with some decent food and give them some education. As we were driving back home we were approach by a begging womn at the crossroad. She had a little girl aged about 3 with her. I wound down my window and Rajesh told her about where the bus stops in Mahim. Lets hope she turns up tomorrow with her little girl. We stopped of at Rajesh's house for a cup of tea and then we went onto the Shopping Centre so that I could find a decent barbers to get a haircut - and a very good one we found! A top stylist for only £6!! I have also decided to teach myself Hindi and bought a complete beginners guide. Lets hope I can find the time to use it.

Tomorrow, I will be at Mahim with the street kids and then I am going off to Juhu beach to see the teaching over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment