Tuesday 19 May 2009

Tuesday 19th May


This morning was very quiet. The nuns and monks are still on retreat for one more day and I didn't have Caron to talk to. I was quite tired this morning because I was late back last night. I was showing some of the Vision Rescue staff (plus some other spectators) how to play pool. Some of them have never pick a snooker cue up and so it took a while for them to get the hang of it.


Today I was picked up by Rajesh who took me to meet the principal of a technology college where I am hoping to run some football coaching sessions for some of the street kids. Unfortunately, the pitch we would be using was being set up for a wedding so I didn't get a chance see much of it. We will not be able to use it this week but hopefully we can book it for the remainder of my time here. We do go and have a look at some other places but they were not really suitable. It is very difficult to find anything that resembles a football pitch as grass is very scarce in Mumbai and the main sport here is cricket!

From here, we caught up with the bus at Mahim Gardens and met some of the lads that I will be coaching. They were all very excited and insisted on shaking my hand and saying 'Thank You' - it means so much to these kids!! Next we went on to Bandra where they are also hoping to recruit some boys from the slum to join in the football. Unfortunately, there was a big political meeting in one of the hotels next to the slum which ment lots of Media! Rajesh told me that the India media can sometimes get suspicious if they see foreigners in the slum areas so it was best not to go in.

We stopped off at the Vision Rescue Kitchen for lunch as Rajesh needed to speak to some of the staff. There I was kept entertained by the local kids who were showing me their spinning tops - these were great and I will be on the look out to try and buy some!

After lunch, I accompanied Rajesh to view a potential building for the new Vision Rescue Kitchen. Rather stupidly, the Estate Agent had forgotten about one small detail - access for the buses. The food need to go on the buses and so there must be space to park them. It was a struggle to get Rajesh's car down the road let alone a bus. Because of this, we didn't even bother looking inside which then upset the estate agent. Hopefully, he with remember this minor detail when he looks for some more properties.

No comments:

Post a Comment