Friday 22 May 2009

First Teacher Training Session

Today I have been running the first of seven teacher training sessions. Normally I am used to running these sorts of sessions in a classroom with a projector and interactive whiteboard. The room we used was in a small methodist church building in Dharavi (Asia Largest slum). As you can probably guess there was no whiteboard. Just one plug socket and some chairs and tables but that was all we needed! The purpose behind these training sessions is to help the teacher improve the quality of education that they are giving to the children on the buses. Teaching a group of 30 children, aged 3 - 12 from the slums of Mumbai, on a big yellow bus is very different from teaching 30 children, aged 10-11 from Surrey, England, in a classroom, but many of the same principles can be applied. I had two hours for the sessions and everything I said had to be translated into Hindi as some of the bus helpers do not speak much English. One of the main observations I have seen is a lack of positive reinforcement. I think this is because of the Indian culture and many peoples attitudes towards children. The teachers can be positive but it needs to be more, especially with the children that they are teaching. This was the focus of my first sessions but I also wanted to get from them what they see as the strengths and the weekness of the teaching on the buses. Unfortunately they found it very difficult to tell me so I when through my list of what they are doing well and where they can improve. At the end of the session, I explained that I would come and help them on the buses with their positive reinforcement.

I also moved accomodation today. The place I am now staying is much nearer to the Vision Rescue office (just 5 mins walk) so it will save time and money. The room is still very basic but it does have a nicer bathroom (With toilet paper!!!).

Tomorrow I will be back on the buses - games day tomorrow! I am also hoping the visit the large rubbish dumping ground that was used in Slumdog Millionaire. This is one of the locations where the bus stops but they don't normally take visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment