Tuesday 11 August 2009

Tuesday 11th August

Dinner at the home

Raj (top) and his friend


Boys from the home


Lessons at the school


Assembly time

Another morning at the school in Goa and today I arrived in time to see the assembly. I was very impressed with the way that the children behaved. The all sat neatly in lines and there was very little fidgeting. They sang a couple of songs very well and after about 20 mins they then went to their first lessons. I then took the time to print out information to give the teachers on behaviour management and reward systems. I managed to catch the end of some of the lessons and then at 12.00 I got together with the teachers to talk through behaviour strategies and get some feedback from them about how they think school is doing and what are its current strengths and weakness. It was obvious that behaviour was their main concern. Tomorrow we are going to decide on some school rules and plan out a behaviour system that they can start using in the school. I really feel this school has great potential and that eventually, with good systems in place, the students will make excellent progress. In the afternoon I got the chance to spend some time with the kids at the homes. One of the kids I met was 8 year old Raj, who some of you may have seen on the Vision Rescue You tube video I told you about back on 12th May. Raj was born in Mumbai but when he was just a baby, his father killed his mother. He was living on the streets when his father then died from drugs. Raj was then alone on the streets until Biju and Vision Rescue got him to the rescue home in Goa. He is now living a safe and happy life at the home and is doing well in his studies. Later on at the older boys home, I was invited to play the local board game, Carrom. This is like Subbuteo, pool and draughts all rolled into one. I am still not entirely sure of the rules but you have to flick the draughts counters in holes at the corners of the board. Here is a web address for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrom. The boys are so good. Their flicking technique is brilliant and their aim is excellent. I, in comparison, was poor. I could not rekindle those quality moments of playing subbuteo as a child. Unfortunately, I didn't have any time for another guitar lesson but maybe Wednesday or Thursday.
Tomorrow I am having breakfast at Matin and Beena's house and will then run the teacher session in the afternoon. I have uploaded some pictures of the school and kids. Hope you like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment