Friday 14 August 2009

Me with Abi and Bharti

I was treated to a fantastic breakfast this morning at a lovely restaurant in Panjim. I went there with Martin and Beena and had fried eggs, bacon, hash browns, toast, breakfast tea and a bowl of fruit. It was great! It also gave me a good opportunity to chat to them about the future of the school and what their vision is. They are really keen to get the standard of the school above that of the government school to ensure good funding. After breakfast they dropped me off at the school where I was able to watch the children rehearsing for their Independence Day celebration, and view a couple of the lessons going on. I managed to find Abi and Bharti and took some photos of them for the father back in Mumbai. Unfortunately I did not have a photo to show them. At 11.30am, I took another teacher session, this time talking about lesson structure, Brain Gym and (yes you've guessed it) PHONICS! Once you start telling them about it they don't want to stop learning more. Tomorrow will be the last session as I will be going back to Mumbai on Monday morning. In the afternoon, I visited the boys homes and got to sample fresh coconut which the boys expertly broke open. I am getting better at Carrom and managed to pocket a few counters today - I was partnering with 13 year old Raj who is a bit of an expert!!
I noticed at the younger boys home that they have very little to do and there seems to be no real decent equipment for them to play with. I have ask one of the wardens, Lucki, to write a list of some equipment the boys would like and see if I can get my hands on anything. If anyone has any fairly new equipment or toys that they don't need or would like to donate money towards some toys and games then please let me know. They would really appreciate some help in this department. At 6.30pm I was picked up by Jinil (The Indian version of The Stig!) and he took me to a Chinese restaurant where I pick up a take away - and very nice it was. Tomorrow we have the Independence Day celebration at 9.00am so it is another early start.

No comments:

Post a Comment