Sunday 16 August 2009

Independence Day in India





The 'Rising Star' School

Beena


Saturday was Independence Day in India so it was a public holiday. Normally the children would have lessons in the morning but instead there was a short celebration during which the children sang some songs including the National Anthem. Beena, spoke to the whole school and then I was invited to say a few words to the children. I managed to capture some footage of them singing and we had a whole school photo at the end. As the week has gone on I have grown very close to the school, its staff and the kids. Even though these are the children who have been rescued from their family situations, there is still need. The staff here are great but as there are so many children many of them still seek individual love and attention. Some of the children do not know much about their past life and some of them find it difficult talk about it. Some children do still have parents but are in the home due to AIDS being in the family or parents not able to cope. They do have the opportunity to see them in the summer as some of the children return home. After the celebration, I then ran a final teachers training session where we recapped over all we'd looked at and went through some visual aids to help teach English.
I left them with copies of all the materials I had and I hope to see them being used to the full when I am in Goa next. A few years ago, Biju set up a Bible College in Goa and he asked me if I would go and visit the students and help them with their English. So on Saturday afternoon I was picked up and taken to the College. It was about a 45 min drive and it is situated in the middle of a very quiet wooded area. I was shown around by Manoj who is the Principal and spoke to the students for about 30 mins telling them about the work I been doing with Biju in Mumbai and giving them some help with their English. There are currently about 25 students at the college and they come from all different areas of India. Most were from Kerla which is in the south of India. After the tour around and the talk, I stayed for a chat and a cup of tea and then was taken back to my accommodation. Tomorrow will be my last day in Goa so I will be spending the day at the beach and then saying bye to the kids. It will be sad leaving here but it will be great to return back to Mumbai to be with the Vision Rescue team and the street children.

No comments:

Post a Comment