Saturday 6 June 2009

Water difficulties!

Yesterday, was another day in the office as I had a couple of meetings to attend about the education program and micro-finance. I wont bore you with the details - It was a very uneventful day.

Today I was up early for another football sessions - and what a great one was! The kids are getting very enthusiastic about the football and I can see real improvement. We have about 14 regular kids and some of them are ready for coaching. Next week I will try more coaching drills with them. The feeding for the last few days has been different. The Vision Rescue kitchen was informed on Thursday evening that they may not be any water available for four days due to pipe work. I asked Radjesh what they were going to do and he said that there would be know feeding on those days. I suggested that we buy in some water but he said it would be too difficult to organise. The other option was to buy in some food and when we did the calculations I was amazed at how cheap it was to feed 700 children for the day so I gave Rajesh enough money to cover the four days of water shortage. They bought vegetable samosas that they placed in bread rolls to make veggie burgers. Each child also had a banana. At one location (Bandra), as soon as the word got out that there were veggie burgers being given out, there was a huge flock of kids and mothers who wouldn't normally come to the bus. Unfortunately, due to having to supply food at other locations, we had to turn so of them away - sad!
Being Saturday, there was no teaching today as they show the children a DVD. Today was Ali Ba-Ba and the forty thieves - The kids loved it! Their faces are always a picture when they are watching a DVD. They are so engrossed in the story.
Lunch as usual was at the Vision Rescue kitchen and with a small amount of water they made a different lunch for the staff. In the evening I arranged to meet up with a chat called Amin who is a Mumbai Tour Guide. He has friends in England who gave me his details. He was born in Mumbai but at the aged of 5 he found himself out on the streets. He suffered on the streets for 3 years until he was rescued and taken to an orphange when he was 8 where he stayed till he was 18. He is a really nice guy and speaks very good English. When I return to Mumbai in July, he has agreed to take me to the orphage where he grew up and to some of the other homes run by the same people. He was also interested in the Vision Rescue project so I will arrange for him to spend a day on the bus with me. After coffee with Amin, myself and Ranjeet (who had come with me) got a taxi back home. On the way I saw a very interesting site. One of the main roads that we were travelling along was lined with parked up motorbikes with couples sitting on them. Apparently, Bandra is the romantic area of Mumbai and men bring their girlfriends to that road on a bike. I wish had my camera. It looked like a scene out of Grease!
The weather was cooler today so I think the rain will start soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment